Wintertime in Stillwater
Discover the historic riverfront district glimmering with charm and full of festivities December through March. Plan now for a holiday or winter season getaway!
Stillwater, Minnesota has always been a serene and romantic winter season destination and it is getting better every year! We are lighting up both sides of the Historic Lift Bridge this winter along with lining the tops of our historic buildings with twinkle and lighting a large tree in Lowell Park starting November 26th!
In 2023, you can look forward to the first annual World Snow Sculpting Championship January 18-22!
For the Christmas and Hanukkah holiday season, local merchants are thrilled to welcome you with many gift ideas during Black Friday and Shop Small Saturday, November 25-26th. Did you know that all 50+ shops in the historic downtown district of Stillwater are locally owned?
Head to Stillwater, MN if you prefer a charming nostalgic holiday shopping and dining experience during “Hometown for the Holidays” month-long celebration full of events. From caroling tours on the Biercycle to horse-drawn wagonette rides and a Twinkle Party with the official tree lighting and fireworks on December 3rd, downtown Stillwater is all lit up for you to enjoy the season of giving.
Reuniting with friends and family? Book a stay so you can walk to the shops and restaurants right from your hotel! Haven’t been to Stillwater in a while, see what’s new.
Returning in January will be the World Snow Sculpting Championships, Historic Winter Ice Cream Social and a Riverside Ice Rink.
February will also welcome the Fat Tire Bike Race, Frozen Bocce Ball tournament, and Winterfest with and live music and of course the holiday of love, Valentine’s Day. Find a romantic place to stay from hotels to bed and breakfasts and unique vacation home rentals and book soon to celebrate a romantic getaway this winter! Seeking a cozy fireplace suite? Here are a few ideas.
Heated Patios, Ice Bars or Walk-Up Windows
Looking for heated patios or ice bars? We’re keeping a running list as they open.
- Leo’s Grill & Malt Shop: glass enclosed heated porch and fire pits on their patio (opening mid-November). Located within the Chestnut Street LED light show set to music.
- Water Street Inn: Charlie’s Irish Pub will have it’s heated glass enclosed riverside patio open and heaters on the outside open deck. Entrance on Chestnut street right next to the LED light show. Papa’s Rooftop will be open for cocktails for select events with heaters and firepits. Come January when the riverside ice skating rink opens up, they’ll have a walk-up window for to-go drinks again on the river side of the Water Street Inn.
- Matchstick at Hotel Crosby: heaters on the Main Street patio
- Domacin’ Wine Bar & Restaurant: enclosed deck with heaters all winter
- Tilted Tiki: lights and heaters on outdoor patio
- River Siren Brewing: Ice Shuffleboard in parking lot
We’ll announce more details as we get closer, but here is a list of winter fun to look forward to in Stillwater, Minnesota. Join our enewsletter or follow us on Instagram or Facebook to stay up to date!
Wintertime in Stillwater
Schedule of Events
- All month, daily: FREE Wintertime in Stillwater Lights Displays: Main Street Buildings, river walk, and historic lift bridge.
- December 2-23rd: Holiday Teas at Lowell Inn
- December 3rd: Breakfast with Santa
- December 3th – Saturday: Official Tree Lighting and fireworks Twinkle Party
- December 4th – Cheers with Santa at Lift Bridge Brewery
- Holiday Season Shopping & events like strolling Victorian Costumed Carolers and a visit with Santa!
- December 10th: Gingerbread House Making Contest (part of Candyland weekend)
- December 10th & 17th: Santa at Kari’s Create & Paint Studio
- December 10th & 17th: Horse-drawn wagonette rides through downtown/riverfront
- December 11th: Stillwater Holiday Gift & Craft Fair at Oak Glen Golf Course
- December 11th: Santa and his reindeer photo opportunity
- December 17th: Pets in the Park
- December 17th: Downton Abbey Christmas Dinner
- December 17-18th: Holiday Cheers Weekend at Saint Croix Vineyards
- December 31st: New Year’s Eve – 5 blocks of dining, shopping, and live music!
- Water Street Inn’s Riverside Ice Skating Rink – FREE, but bring your own skates! (Opens Jan 15 evening)
- January 15th: Frozen Flannel Bonspiel – outdoor curling tournament
- January 18-22rd: World Snow Sculpting Championship – INAGURAL EVENT! NOTE: Sculptures will remain up past the event as long as mother nature and safety allows!
- January 28th: Washington County Historical Society Historic Winter Ice Cream Social
- Riverside Ice Skating Rink
- February 13-20th: Winterfest
- Valentine’s Day – celebrate your love anytime during the month of February in a romantic destination. Places to stay within walking distance of your dinner reservations.
- February 18th: Frozen Bocce Ball Tournament
- February 19th: Fat Bike Rally
- St. Patrick’s Day live music & events at Charlie’s Irish Pub
LIST OF ALL EVENTS: