We hope you are able to celebrate the special connections in your life this Valentine’s Day! FREE Carriage Rides will be back this year along with many other ideas to enjoy the holiday! Make your plans now to get away to one of Minnesota’s most romantic towns!
Wintertime in Stillwater has always been a romantic destination with cozy places to stay, scenic valley views, and delicious culinary choices. This year, the ambiance is turned up a notch with new decor & ice features – a riverside ice skating rink, an Ice Palace Maze, and FREE LED light show set to music. This is a video of the lights in 2021, so you can look forward to scene like this soon.
There are 20+ restaurants in the downtown historic tourism district of Stillwater, so browse this list here and call to check availability.
These restaurants are doing special menus for Valentine’s Day. Reservations required:
- Lowell Inn (3 course dinner or 4 course fondue dinner)
- Domacin’ Wine Bar (4-course menu with wine pairings)
- Charlie’s Irish Pub at Water Street Inn (4-course dinner menu)
- Breakfast in bed or desserts to-go (pre-order from Mon Petit Cheri)
- Feller at Lora Hotel (Valentine’s Specials all weekend long)
- The Outing Lodge at Pine Point Valentine Dinner – Feb. 12
Where to Stay
Book soon for the best suites at lodging properties as well – choose from gorgeous historic mansions, hotels, or vacation home rentals. Valentine’s Day falls on a Monday this year, so make it a long weekend stay. Ask your hotel about special packages – flowers, massages, room service, etc.
What to Do
Consider registering for an experience together in Stillwater to celebrate love month. Here’s a few ideas:
- Comedy Show at The Grand: Friday, Feb. 11. Grab your sweetie and spend an evening with the comedy of Off the Rails Entertainment starring Dan Mogol, Courtney Baka and Dan Hinninkamp as M.C.
- Cookin’ with Cupid: A Date night Cooking Class in person with Cooks of Crocus Hill. February 11-12.
- Live Music at Ziggy’s: Sunday, Feb. 13, 3-6pm starring Tim Sigler.
- Valentine’s Yoga and Beer at Lift Bridge Brewery: Thursday, Feb. 17. Happily coupled or happily single, come join us for a yoga sequence inspired by love & heartbreak at our Stillwater location.
- Starlight Snowshoe at Saint Croix Vineyards: February 18 & 19, 6-9pm – Enjoy a starlight ice luminary lit snowshoe trail winding throughout the beautiful Saint Croix Vineyards. Includes snowshoes, luminary lit trail, bonfires with s’mores, mulled wine, and cheese plate. Other wines and wine flights available for purchase!
- Ice Palace Maze: Explore this unique attraction together and enjoy great photos, an ice bar, and ice slide! Wear your warmest mittens as you walk through the new Ice Palace Maze said to be the largest maze of its kind in the USA is presented by the Stillwater Zephyr Theatre. Open 7 days a week.
- Serenity Package at Just for Me Spa: includes Himalayan Salt Cave and Foot Renewals in the Serenity Lounge, a great service you can do together. The mineral pool and whirlpool are also open if guests want to spend some time together and take a relaxing mineral soak – of course couples massages and other spa treatments also available.
- Throw axes together – book a lane at The Lumberjack Axe Bar. Reserve the Valentine’s Special: an hour of axe throwing, bottle of wine, two appetizers, and dessert for $95.
- Solve a mystery together at the Stillwater Escape Company with two themed rooms to choose from – The Cave or Connolly’s Shoe Factory Office.
- Get creative in a relaxing painting studio right downtown where you can choose to paint pottery or canvas. You can even paint at home together with romantic to-go kits from Kari’s Create & Paint Studio!
- Take a candle-making workshop together at Carpe Noctem Candle Co. Candle-making can be such a fun, creative, INTIMATE way to connect with your sweetie, an old friend or maybe just yourself!
- Wintertime in Stillwater Light Show, on nightly 5-10pm. Stillwater welcomes couples and families to a warm historic district glimmering with ambiance and seasonal charm. The free lights and decorations for the new Wintertime in Stillwater seasonal event are up for your enjoyment nightly 5-10pm through March. In the heart of downtown, the Chestnut Street pedestrian area is festive with an LED lightshow with a colorful tunnel of lights all synchronized to music.
Look for a change of hue in February when a new heart-shaped feature will update the scene for the season. Visitors to the Wintertime lights can enjoy hot cocoa or drinks to-go from the two walk-up windows for service at Leo’s Grill & Malt Shop and Charlie’s Irish Pub at Water Street Inn or make reservations for dinner at 20+ restaurants within walking distance downtown.
2. Romantic Riverside Stroll: Stillwater’s peaceful riverwalk with garland and light-wrapped lamp posts is a great place for a quiet moment together. The entire mile of the Main Street shopping and dining district’s architecture is trimmed with lights, snowflakes and festive storefronts. The historic lift bridge is a sight to see from afar with Hollywood-style lights outlining its unique design. Up close, this bridge which was recently converted to a pedestrian and bike trail is the perfect setting for a romantic stroll
3. Winter River Ice Skating Rink at the Water Street Inn is open for free skating daily. Bring your own skates to enjoy the glide with a view as it is set in the riverfront Lowell Park next to the St. Croix River and Historic Lift Bridge. Guests staying at the Water Street Inn can admire the scene from their balconies or glass-enclosed restaurant patio.
4. Trails – walk the 4.7 mile Loop Trail or 6 mile Brown’s Creek Trail both starting downtown Stillwater.
What to Give
Shop all the locally owned gift shops downtown Stillwater from fashion to books to artisan works to culinary wares. See full list of boutiques here: https://www.discoverstillwater.com/shopping/.
- For the crafty gal: Darn Knit Anyway has put together bouquets of mini skeins of Leading Men Fiber Arts fingering weight yarn. Each bouquet has 5 mini skeins perfect for a cowl or hat. We’ve even suggested some of our favorite patterns that use minis.
- MedSpa experience at on-site Hotel Crosby’s Local Luxury Medspa.
- Forge & Foundry Distillery has Valentine’ Cocktail kits you can pre-order to-go for a special cheers at home this year!
- Pure Love Essences fragrances. We love this philanthropic woman-owned brand because they use ultra clean ingredients and are cruelty/vegan free, and made in the USA. Available in cologne mists or fragranced candles at Forget Me Not.
- Spice it up at Pinch n Rub Spice & Tea hub – you’ll need one of their t-shirts for sure!
- Locally made sweetness inspired beer, wine, spirits: Lift Bridge Brewing Company, Saint Croix Vineyards, River Siren Brewing, Forge and Foundry Distillery
- Sweets Ideas from local chocolatiers or bakers; Sara’s Tipsy Pies, Mai Little Cakes, Candyland, Stillwater, Tremblay’s Sweet Shop, Barbara Ann’s Fudge Shoppe.
- Share the joy of DIY creating with others OR use the kit yourself and give the finished product to your loved one. Giving a homemade gift is so precious! Marquess Studios has Valentines Gnomes and String Art kits at Rust & Rose Boutique and Smith + Trade Mercantile has classes available to make a personal gift creation!
- Give a basket or gift bag of natural organic, handmade body care to your sweetheart from Modern Roots. And remember, Valentines is not just for females. They have many manly bar soaps, lotions and shave products to choose from.
💌Love & Valentines: Destination Stillwater❤️
Make the best of the cozy season. Find your favorite fireplace, hot steam Swedish shower, or candlelight intimate dining spot together in one of the most romantic towns continuously ranked best weekend getaway.
💕💕 “Paint the Town Red” in Stillwater for Valentine’s Day! 💕💕
Main Street shops, restaurants, and attractions welcome you to our romantic city to celebrate with your Valentine all week long.
No tickets are required for carriage or wagonette rides. First come first served at the Pedestrian Plaza on Water Street between Myrtle and Mulberry Streets.