We hope you are able to celebrate the special connections in your life this Valentine’s Day! We have one important word for you this year, though – “Reservations”! Don’t wait until last minute as COVID safety precautions limit capacity and RESERVATIONS are required so make your plans now to getaway to one of Minnesota’s most romantic towns!
Wintertime in Stillwater has always been a romantic destination with the cozy places to stay, scenic valley views, and delicious culinary choices. This year, the ambiance is turned up a notch with new decor & ice features – a riverside ice skating rink , an Ice Palace Maze, and LED light show set to music.
There are 20+ restaurants in the downtown historic tourism district of Stillwater, so browse this list here and call to check availability.
These restaurants are doing special menus for Valentine’s Day. Reservations required:
- Lowell Inn (3-course meal in George Washington Dining Room)
- Domacin’ Wine Bar (4-course menu with wine pairings)
- Charlie’s Irish Pub at Water Street Inn (4-course dinner menu)
- Breakfast in bed or desserts to-go (pre-order from Mon Petit Cheri)
- Feller at Lora Hotel (4-course dinner)
- Reserve an outdoor igloo at Nacho Mamas
- More Sweets Ideas from local chocolatiers or bakers
Where to Stay
Book soon for the best suites at lodging properties as well – choose from gorgeous historic mansions, hotels, or vacation home rentals. Valentine’s Day falls on a Sunday this year, so make it a longer stay through Monday! Ask your hotel about special packages – flowers, massages, room service, etc.
What to Do
Consider registering for an experience together in Stillwater to celebrate love month. Here’s a few ideas:
- Wintery Wonderland Snowshoe at 7 Vines Vineyard: February 12th 5:30-9:30
- Cupid in the Kitchen: A Date night Cooking Class in person with Cooks of Crocus Hill. February 13th 6-8pm.
- Ice Palace Maze: explore this unique attraction together and enjoy great photos, an ice bar, and ice slide! Wear your warmest mittens as you walk through the new Ice Palace Maze said to be the largest maze of its kind in the USA is presented by the Stillwater Zephyr Theatre . Hourly tickets (mostly sold out, look for daytime or 9pm times) are on sale now at $15 per person for adults, $10 ages 5-12 and are available Tuesday-Friday 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM and Saturday-Sunday 12:00 PM to 10:00 PM: www.icepalacemaze.com.
- Sign up to play in a curling team together in the Frozen Flannel Bonspiel: February 13th.
- Lakeside Snowshoeing and Candlelight Dinner at the Outing Lodge: February 13th 6pm. Tickets here.
- Tarot Card Reading at Medicinal Blends: February 14th noon-3pm
- Virtual Valentine’s Dinner Surprise: February 14th 6-7:30pm, virtual cooking class with Cooks of Crocus Hill.
- Live Music at Ziggy’s: Sunday, February 14th 3-6pm starring Tim Sigler.
- Serenity Package at Just for Me Spa: includes Himalayan Salt Cave and Foot Renewals in the Serenity Lounge, a great service you can do together. We also have our Mineral Pool and whirlpool open if they would to spend some time together and take a relaxing mineral soak. Of course couples massages and other spa treatments also available.
- Throw axes together – book a lane at The Lumberjack Axe Bar. Reserve the Valentine’s Special: an hour of axe throwing, bottle of wine, two appetizers, and dessert for $95.
- Solve a mystery together at the Stillwater Escape Company with two themed rooms to choose from – The Cave or Connolly’s Shoe Factory Office.
- Get creative in a relaxing painting studio right downtown where you can choose to paint pottery or canvas with on-site staff to help guide you to the plethora of paints, colors, and textures for your masterpiece. You can also order a kit to-go if you’d rather paint at home together. Call Kari’s Create & Paint Studio.
- Starlight Snowshoe at Saint Croix Vineyards: February 19th 6-9pm- Enjoy a starlight ice luminary lit snowshoe trail winding throughout the beautiful Saint Croix Vineyards. Warm up by the roaring bonfires or in the rustic winery with a cup of mulled wine paired perfectly with a plate of tasty nibbles. Includes snowshoes, luminary lit trail, bonfires with s’mores, mulled wine, and cheese plate. Other wines and wine flights available for purchase!
Here are 5 FREE Ideas for you:
- Wintertime in Stillwater Light Show, on nightly 5-10pm. Stillwater welcomes couples and families to a warm historic district glimmering with ambiance and seasonal charm. The free lights and decorations for the new Wintertime in Stillwater seasonal event are up for your enjoyment nightly 5-10pm through March. In a year when we all need a little cheer, the community has come together to add lots of twinkle to downtown Stillwater. In the heart of downtown, the Chestnut Street pedestrian area is festive with an LED lightshow with a colorful tunnel of lights all synchronized to music. Look for a change of hue in February when a new heart-shaped feature and red lights may change the scene a bit. Visitors to the Wintertime lights can enjoy hot cocoa or drinks to-go from the two walk-up windows for service at Leo’s Grill & Malt Shop and Charlie’s Irish Pub at Water Street Inn or make reservations for dinner at 20+ restaurants within walking distance downtown now open for indoor dining at 50% capacity and adhering to all COVID MN guidelines.
2. Romantic Riverside Stroll: Stillwater’s peaceful riverwalk with garland and light-wrapped lamp posts is a great place for a quiet moment together. The entire mile of the Main Street shopping and dining district’s architecture is trimmed with lights, snowflakes and festive storefronts. The historic lift bridge is a sight to see from afar with Hollywood-style lights outlining its unique design. Up close, this bridge which was recently converted to a pedestrian and bike trail is the perfect setting for a romantic stroll.
3. Winter River Ice Skating Rink at the Water Street Inn is open for free skating daily 8am-10pm whenever local figure skating or curling team practices aren’t scheduled. Bring your own skates to enjoy the glide with a view as it is set in the riverfront Lowell Park next to the St. Croix River and Historic Lift Bridge. Guests staying at the Water Street Inn can admire the scene from their balconies or glass-enclosed restaurant patio. 4. Trails – walk the 4.7 mile Loop Trail or 6 mile Brown’s Creek Trail both starting downtown Stillwater.
5. Free Art Gallery Show at Art Reach St. Croix, Distilled and Direct runs through February 13th. Open Noon-4pm.
*Please note, we are NOT offering free carriage rides this year due to COVID.
What to Give
Shop all the locally owned gift shops downtown Stillwater from fashion to books to artisan works to culinary wares. See full list of boutiques here: https://www.discoverstillwater.com/shopping/.
- For the crafty gal: Darn Knit Anyway has put together bouquets of mini skeins of Leading Men Fiber Arts fingering weight yarn. Each bouquet has 5 mini skeins perfect for a cowl or hat. We’ve even suggested some of our favorite patterns that use minis.
- MedSpa experience at on-site Hotel Crosby’s Local Luxury Medspa.
- Forge & Foundry Distillery has Valentine’ Cocktail kits you can pre-order to-go for a special cheers at home this year!
- Pure Love Essences fragrances. We love this philanthropic, woman-owned brand because they use ultra clean ingredients, are cruelty free & vegan, and are made in the USA. Available in cologne mists or fragranced candles at Forget Me Not.
- Spice it up at Pinch n Rub Spice & Tea hub – you’ll need one of their t-shirts for sure!
- Share the joy of DIY creating with others OR use the kit yourself and give the finished product to your loved one. A homemade gift is so precious! Marquess Studios has Valentines Gnomes and String Art kits at Reclaiming Beautiful, Joseph Wolf Mercantile and Marquess Studios.
- Rivertown Tours has put together an amazing Valentines Love of the Valley Gift Box. They carefully handpicked some delicious treats, sweets and gifts from 10 local Stillwater businesses!
- Give a basket or gift bag of natural organic, handmade body care to your sweetheart from Modern Roots. And remember, Valentines is not just for females. They have many manly bar soaps, lotions and shave products to choose from.