There is always something NEW happening in the fun, historic river town of Stillwater, Minnesota. Looking for information while visiting? The following Visitor Ambassador businesses welcome you to stop in, ask questions and pick up guidebook/map: Stillwater Trolley – Water Street Inn – Alfresco – Northern Vineyards
Discover Stillwater Blog – tune in for the latest!
Whether you are headed to Stillwater, Minnesota for a day trip or an extended stay look for ways to save on your dining, shopping, tours, and accommodations! The list of coupons, discounts and deals for many restaurants, boutiques, workshops, tours, and hotels has been updated for the 2018 season. Take a peek and see what you can save on travel while exploring and having fun in this beautiful midwest river town getaway destination!
As a popular Midwest travel destination just outside the Twin Cities Minneapolis/St. Paul, Stillwater, Minnesota is a beautiful getaway year-round with dining, shopping, festivals and outdoor recreation on the river and bike trails. The demand for lodging has increased over the years especially because it’s a popular place for weddings with multiple ceremony and reception venues. Travelers coming to Stillwater seeking more options will be delighted to know that the City of Stillwater and Oak Park Heights are both allowing licensed vacation rental homes or lofts. With nearly twenty new properties listed on the tourism bureau’s website www.DiscoverStillwater.com in this category, this vacation destination most certainly has something for everyone. From an intimate loft above a boutique on Main Street to a large luxury mansion with river views that sleeps 14 to a cozy neighborhood historic home with a front porch – visitors can immerse themselves in this inspiring Birthplace of Minnesota. These lovely homes are perfect if you have a group that wants to stay together, you prefer to have a kitchen available, or just want a little more privacy.
Here is the current list of vacation rentals available in Stillwater and Oak Park Heights:
The Stillwater area has over 400 rooms available with 5 hotels, 2 downtown inns, 8 bed & breakfasts and now nearly 20 vacation rental homes. In addition, 2018 will also welcome two new boutique hotels on Main Street that are currently under construction. Lodging books up quickly in Stillwater, so be sure to plan ahead to pick your favorite place that meets your needs exactly whether it be walking distance to restaurants or your own riverside outdoor firepit.
Here’s a quick slideshow of the new accommodations in Stillwater, Minnesota:
Here’s a quick line up of the newest shops, experiences, restaurants, venues, places to stay and events you must see this year. We’ll continue to update so check back for more as summer nears. Thank you to the Pioneer Press newspaper for this wonderful recent article as well: “With the Lift Bridge Closed, Stillwater’s Main Street is Booming!“
Stillwater welcomes the following NEW businesses:
Lip, Lash, Brow Bar at Just for Me Spa (Healing Mineral Pool also currently under construction)
Airy Fitness – aerial silks fitness classes and parties
St. Croix Crossing Bridge & Loop Trail – the new bridge construction project was completed last August and the historic lift bridge closed to vehicle traffic as it undergoes rennovations to welcome pedestrians and bikes in 2019 as part of the Loop Trail. Half of the trail is now complete, so you can enjoy biking or walking from downtown Stillwater over the new bridge to Wisconsin.
Zephyre Theatre & Studios – live theatre venue
Ice Castles – back on our riverfront this winter with new design including a skyslide and rainbow LED wall. (Closed for the season).
Stillwater Segway Tours – now there are two companies in Stillwater offering tours
GullyWubbles – walk-in arts & crafts, gift boutique and parties for kids (Opening in May)
Stillwater Escape Room – team puzzle solving experience in JX Event Venue
All American Segway Tours – new St. Croix Crossing Bridge Tours, Culinary Tours, and shorter 1 Hr. Gateway Jr Tour.
JX Event Venue isn’t just for weddings – watch our calendar for live music, acoustic listening sessions, comedy and more!
Stillwater Trolley – Bed & Breakfast Tour, Kayaking Tours, Storytime Trolley
Literature Lovers Night Out – Valley Bookseller hosts this monthly event at The Grand Banquet Hall downtown featuring national and local authors, light refreshments and drawings for prizes.
Uncommon Cents – Coin Collectors Shop
A Little Candle Shop – soy candles & luxury bath items
St. Croix Finery Consignment Shop – designer clothing
Loome Theological Books – rare collection of religious books
Tatts by Zapp – Under new ownership and remodeled!
Jori & June – clothing boutique coming in May
Brick & Bourbon – restaurant with rooftop
The Velveteen Speakeasy – underground at JX Venue
Pearl & The Thief – restaurant coming soon in the Pub 112 location
Oasis Cafe – remodeled to now include full bar and outdoor patio. See article.
NEW PLACES TO STAY
Vacation home rentals now legal in Stillwater. See the full list of homes and downtown loft options: https://www.discoverstillwater.com/lodging/house-loft-rentals/
Lora Hotel – boutique hotel on the south end of Main St. coming in June
The Crosby – boutique hotel on the north end of Main St. coming in September
Holiday Inn Express & Suites– construction to start in Oak Park Heights this fall, opening summer 2019.
NEW WEDDING BUSINESSES
Photo Collective – located in JX Event Venue
MOVED TO A NEW LOCATION
South Hill Vintage – moved to a Main Street-front location in the historic Sawmill building
NEW 360 TOURS OF KEY MEETING VENUES
Tour Stillwater venues right from your desk!
Lion’s Tavern – more live music Thursday-Sunday come May and an updated menu this spring/summer!
Visit www.DiscoverStillwater.com for a complete list of boutiques, restaurants, and unique things to do! Curious what was new in 2015, 2016, or 2017 – type ‘what’s new’ in our home page search bar. There is always something new and old to discover in historic Stillwater! #OnlyinMN #StayanExtraDay #Travel #DiscoverStillwater
Attention Professional and Amateur Photographers… Ice Castles MN PHOTO CONTEST announced with Minnesota Exposure – Gallery. Win cash prizes or Stillwater prizes from Dock Cafe Lift Bridge Beer Company South Hill Vintage Lil’ Tulip’s Discover Stillwater lodging Charlie’s Irish Pub and Tin Bins. Contest deadline: February 28, 2018. Please see their website for details: http://www.minnesotaexposure.com/ice-castles-stillwater-photo-contest-3/
Celebrate your love together in one of America’s Most Beautiful Towns just outside the Minneapolis/St. Paul area on the scenic St. Croix River. Historic downtown Stillwater restaurants, bed & breakfasts, shops, and experiences welcome you!
The downtown business association and visitor’s bureau offers FREE horse-drawn carriage rides for Valentine’s Day on Wednesday, February 14th from 4-7pm. See event listing for details on where to meet – no ticket required! Impress your date with an adventurous evening, dinner, carriage ride and exploring the winter Ice Castle tunnels, archways, and ice slides. Be sure to steal a kiss at the top of the sky slide! Get tickets here. With over 30 restaurants and pubs within walking distance you can pop into a place that looks good or reserve a table at select restaurants with special Valentine’s Day wine pairings and menus. There are many other unique Valentine’s Day ideas like DIYing together, cooking together, taking a foodie tour together and more. Find ideas at: www.DiscoverStillwater.com/events. If you need Valentine’s Day candies or chocolates – stop at one of our sweet shops – and if you’d like to give flowers, Camrose Hill can help, or gifts…many of our boutiques.
Have a loving and sweet Valentine’s Day celebration in the Birthplace of Minnesota. Romantic Stillwater welcomes you!
Missed our February travel tips enewsletter…here you go!
Stillwater’s charming historic downtown is an exciting and relaxing winter escape! Ski season is underway in Minnesota with lots of beautiful white snow at nearby Afton Alps.
Funds tight after the holidays? Enter to WIN a ski & stay package with Afton Alps which is the closest ski resort to Main Street Stillwater only 16 miles south along the Scenic St. Croix Byway.
Contest ends Feburary 6, 2018. ENTER here: http://www.discoverstillwater.com/afton-alps-ski-weekend-sweepstakes/
For more information on winter fun in Stillwater visit our ‘winter wonderland’ page: http://www.discoverstillwater.com/things-to-do/winter-wonderland/
Enjoy the season & good luck! Just remember the only thing that closes in the winter in Stillwater is the river, so restaurants, boutiques, hotels, and fun experiences still welcome you on Main Street! And…for winter adventure seekers, we have the Ice Castles as well.
UPDATE: Congratulations to our winner, Melanie Loop.
Hey New England Patriots Philadelphia Eagles fans and all football🏈travelers…stay in Stillwater for the Minnesota Super Bowl 2018! A few places still available! Hurry grab rooms while you can…we even have a luxury whole house rental with river views perfect for a large group 210 Laurel LLC. and many other hotels, bed & breakfasts, home or loft rentals. All listed at www.DiscoverStillwater.com/Lodging. 🏠 All of Minneapolis is sold out. Stillwater is an easy 30 minute drive from all the Big Game events AND we have the best #boldnorth experience – the Ice Castles MN ☃️☃️☃️!!!!! Here’s our inventory… see what you can still find. 15 vacation rental lofts or homes, 2 downtown inns, 5 hotels, and 8 Bed & Breakfasts. We’d love to have you stay in our beautiful & fun town! 📷@210laurel #UnionAlleyEscapeAnn Bean Mansion B&B @dareich The Lowell Inn @caitlinn_93 #boldnorth #superbowl52
1) Castle-side outdoor bar at Water Street Inn on the weekends with live music inside at Charlie’s Irish Pub. Balcony rooms overlooking the Ice Castles, too!
2) Skee-ball and $5 martinis at No Neck Tony’s.
3) Cheese & Charcuterie flight with wine pairing at The Wedge & Wheel.
4) Sports bar with large tap beer selection also known as the official Husband Daycare center – Mad Capper Saloon & Eatery.
5) Tropical drinks to warm up with at The Tilted Tiki
6) Foosball at Brine’s Bar & Restaurant or to die for NY Style pizza slice at @Victorianos Pizza.
7) Stop at one of America’s Top Wine Bars – Domacin Stillwater or an underground Speakeasy…Shhh Top Secret Cocktails. The Velveteen.
😎 Try the ‘Fireside Flannel’ at Lift Bridge Beer Company or order up a flight of beers with river views at Maple Island Brewing
9) Partake in a wine tasting at one of the oldest wineries in Minnesota – Northern Vineyards Winery. Try the Main Street Rose’!
10) Nibble on the Sriracha Mac & Cheese and enjoy live music at Portside Stillwater
11) Artisan cocktails like the Dark & Swayze will warm you up during social hour 3-5 at Lolo American Kitchen Stillwater
12) Sip margerita’s in the new front main-street cantina while you await your table for a Mexican feast at Nacho Mama’s
13) Step into Stillwater’s newest restaurant (open Jan 23) Brick & Bourbon
14) Pull tabs at Americanlegion Stillwater. How’s your luck?
15) Live Music Friday/Saturday evenings at Pub 112 Lion’s Tavern Ziggy’s Street Food • Live Music • Cocktails and giant jenga in the tap room at the Freight House
16) Historic Saloon right on Main Street. Lumberjack wannbe’s welcome – Whitey’s Bar
17) How about an ice bar shot ski with the chef at MARX Fusion Bistro & Wine Bar
18) Riverside dining at the Dock Cafe…oh so beautiful and romantic!
19) Book the private dining room and order up the chilled seafood platter to share at Revé Bistro and Bar .
20) Can’t decide? Book a guided Foodies On Foot culinary walking tour downtown.
Many more ideas at www.DiscoverStillwater.com!
1) Gammy& Gumpy’s Toy Store and Kids Oasis adjoining indoor creative play space.
2) Leo’s Grill & Malt Shop – 1950s americana and cozy booths
3) Kari’s Create & Paint Studio – walk-ins welcome to paint your own pottery or canvas
4) Learn about history. Take a self-guided tour at Minnesota’s oldest Washington County Historic Courthouse or hold your smart phone in front of one of the historic downtown buildings to use www.LensFlareStillwater.org to see what it looked like in the 1800s!
5) QuickFire Pizza Stillwater MN– pick your toppings and watch them place your pizza in the big oven!
6) Sign up for an Enchanted Princess Tea Party at Water Street Inn: http://bit.ly/2mpdSWL
7) Valley Bookseller – get a new winter read and pick up a coffee inside at The Daily Grind Espresso Cafe, Tin Bins, or Revival Coffee & Deli
8) More boutiques with kid stuff or clothes Alfresco Casual Living, Betty June’s Lil’ Tulip’s Mara-Mi Store + Studio + Cafe Downtown Divas BoutiqueNinaMarie Boutique Stillwater Farm Store
9) Candy Shops: Candyland, Stillwater, Barbara Ann’s Fudge, Tremblay’s Sweet Shop
10) Book a hotel with a pool/hot tub: AmericInn Stillwater, Americas Best Value Inn GrandStay Hotel & Suites, Stillwater Comfort Inn and Suites.
Photo by: East End Productions
Legend has it the #OnlyinMN monument was hand-carved by Paul Bunyan himself: whittled from ancient Minnesota hardwoods into the massive, 40-foot span we see today. And though we’re not sure if the stories are true, we’re proud to say it’s never been easier to find your next #OnlyinMN destination. Literally.
Always on the go, the #OnlyinMN monument can usually be found at a Minnesota attraction or event, but never for too long. Like you, it’s a traveler. Watch for this photo opportunity to pop up soon at some of your favorite Minnesota destinations and events.
Hey travelers….this famous Explore Minnesota hashtag monument will be in Stillwater this January 4-22 right next to the Ice Castles. So, before or after you experience the ultimate #OnlyinMN Ice Castles, be sure to grab an Instagram-worthy selfie on our riverfront! This is your only chance to see this giant light up monument in Stillwater! Capture this winter selfie in front of the traveling monument with the Stillwater Ice Castles, the historic Lift Bridge, and the St. Croix River behind you.