Minnesota is hosting the 2018 Super Bowl Football game in neighboring Minneapolis this winter. Hundreds of thousands of people will be visiting our wonderful state, so here’s what you need to know about the big event including 4 reasons (there are so many, but hey we had to narrow down for you a bit) why Stillwater has to be on your ‘must-see’ list:
1) Birthplace of Minnesota. Stillwater is where this great Northern state all began with the first territorial convention (aka the process to make Minnesota an official state) was held in 1848 right downtown on the corner of Myrtle & Main Street. Find the historical marker then scoot around the corner for a cocktail at No Neck Tony’s or find the secret down to the new underground Speakeasy, The Velveteen.
2) Ice Castles. Stillwater is the host site of this frozen fairytale spectacle grown from icicles to bring life to magnificent archways, towners, ice-carved tunnels, and slides ready to be explored. By day this Ice Castle glimmers with glacial blues and after dark the ice formations create a magical glow. See this true #OnlyinMN experience set at the river’s edge of downtown Stillwater within walking distance to 30 restaurants, pubs, breweries, wineries and 50 shops. During January, this site will also welcome the giant #OnlyinMN hashtag monument – quite possibly the best spot for the ultimate winter selfie.
3) Food & Beverage Exploration. Imagine a five-block area with 30+ locally owned unique, delicious and fun establishments! Downtown Stillwater has a plethora of retsaurants, pubs, wine bars, a winery, a brewery, coffee shops, candy shops, bistros, taverns, tap rooms, fine dining, and even a culinary walking tour called Foodies on Foot. If you need to eat or are thirsty…this town has it covered and it’s convenient. Park once and explore multiple places on foot. Here’s a complete restaurant and night life listing for you!
4) A Good Nights Sleep. Minneapolis is going to be blast during the Super Bowl, but with all that excitment you’ll want to unwind and relax at night, so stay outside the hustle and bustle. Stillwater is an easy straight drive out of downtown Minneapolis – Find 35E head north, then exit on highway 36 until you find the river. That’s us! Just 30 minutes away.
Stay in one of America’s Most Picturesque Small Towns (USA Today) and a popular day trip for Twin Cities residents- it’s a must see for it’s natural beauty on the St. Croix River and hip historic downtown district. You’ll find many options in Stillwater’s lodging scene – Need a grand mansion with river views that sleeps 16? Or a stunning historic carriage house suite? How about a home next to a spa? A downtown loft with a rooftop? A hotel with a pool? A historic Inn with balcaony overlooking the Ice Castles? A cozy B&B private room with a swedish steam shower? This is a town of wealth, history and yes…lumberjacks – wouldn’t you want to stay where the rough and tough wealthy lumbermen made their furtunes? That’s Minnesotan alright. Your friends will be impressed.
Super Bowl Highlights You Need to Know
- When/Where: Sunday, February 4, 2018. US Bank Stadium Downtown Minneapolis Minnesota
- 10 Day Celebration Superbowl LIVE – Nicollet Mall in downtown Minneapolis will be the site of the massive free ten-day fan festival leading up to Super Bowl LII on February 4, 2018. Super Bowl LIVE presented by Verizon will open daily starting on Friday, January 26 at 4:00pm through gameday on Sunday, February 4. The free, 10-day festival will include food, fun, and more, with nods to winter that showcase Minnesota’s authentic, Bold North brand.Super Bowl LIVE will stretch six blocks on Nicollet Mall, from South 12th Street to South 6th Street, with each block offering unique and exciting Super Bowl opportunities. Fans will see larger-than-life ice sculptures, national broadcast sets, and the Verizon Up Stage at Ice Mountain, where both local and national concert acts will perform throughout the free 10-day festival. Super Bowl LIVE presented by Verizon will also be the public’s gateway to additional exciting events across the city, including Super Bowl Experience Driven by Genesis, the NFL’s interactive theme park which will be located at the Minneapolis Convention Center.
- Bold North Zipline – Hosting Super Bowl LII gives Minnesotans and one-million visitors alike an opportunity to make unforgettable memories, which now includes the chance to soar across the Mississippi River suspended 100 feet in the air. The Bold North™ Zipline, a feature attraction for the 10 days of Super Bowl festivities, where fun seekers will be enticed to thrill their senses by ziplining 750 feet from a launch tower on Nicollet Island to a landing tower across the Mississippi River. Sponsored by XOOX, a lifestyle backpack brand founded by former Minnesota Vikings player Robert Griffith, the Bold North Zipline will open on January 26, 2018 and run through gameday on Sunday, February 4, 2018.
- Superbowl Experience Driven by Genesis– Returning to Minneapolis for the first time since Super Bowl XXVI in 1992, this event offers fans a unique chance to get involved in the festivities surrounding Super Bowl LII, offering interactive games, youth football clinics, merchandise from NFL Shop presented by Visa, player autograph sessions and more.Fans are invited to join the National Football League to celebrate the history of the Super Bowl and ring in Super Bowl LII in the heart of downtown Minneapolis at the Minneapolis Convention Center for the 25th edition of Super Bowl Experience, which will be open to the public from Saturday, January 27 to Saturday, February 3.
- My North: 52 Minnesota Stories – We’re counting down to Super Bowl 52 with 52 Minnesota stories. This video series features notable Minnesotans, from artists to athletes to entertainers. Visit myboldnorth.com to watch the entire series. My North is a weekly video series created by Mpls St Paul Magazine and presented by Explore Minnesota. And 52 Reasons to Love the Twin Cities.
- Corporate Excursion – Stillwater Ice Castles & Sleigh Ride, Friday/Saturday Feb 2nd and 3rd.
- Media Experience – Stillwater Ice Castles, Friday February 2nd.
- Where to Buy Superbowl Gear