Traveling with Dogs
We are all obsessed with our pets – they are just so darn cute! Did you know that 53% of Americans own a dog and 35% own cats? We won’t get into the great debate about what’s better, cats or dogs, but we would like to share with you all the pet-focused shops, patios, things to do and places to stay in Stillwater, MN.
Are you one of the 53% of Americans who travel with their pets? If so, we’d love to welcome you to our destination so below are a few ideas for your stay.
Welcoming Puppy Water Stations
This week we are distributing water dishes throughout downtown to help accommodate your doggies. Look for these stylish dishes at pet-friendly stops created in partnership with a local shop owner, Sarah Schroeder of Minnesota Made.
Trails and Treats
The best attraction for those traveling with a pet is the great outdoors, so get those ears to perk up with “wanna go on a walk?” and hit the trails. Stillwater, Minnesota has several beautiful paved trails you can walk with your dog – Brown’s Creek Trail (5.9 miles), St. Croix River Crossing Loop Trail (4.7 miles), the riverwalk and grassy area of Lowell Park or just north of downtown along the St. Croix river at the historic Boom Site. In addition, just south of the Loop trail you can connect to City of Oak Park Heights paved trails at Oak Park Crossing that lead into the forest.
If you are walking up the hill into the historic neighborhoods with your four legged friends, you can stop by Nelson’s Ice Cream for a pup ice cream or in the South Hill area, Sara’s Tipsy Pies for greek yogurt banana cheese bacon treats or Coffee Paw Cafe where local pups are featured stars in their restroom and owners can grab a Kombucha on tap.
For those on the Brown’s Creek trail you can take a break for a German beer in the pine woods at The Gasthaus with your dog or keep walking a few more miles onto the Gateway State Trail. From here you can head north towards Pine Point Park where you’ll discover Gateway Trailside, a food truck along the trail.
Patios Where Pets are Welcome!
Search our complete list of downtown or locally owned restaurants with outdoor dining for those who are pet-friendly. Almost all restaurants have outdoor dining so it’s pretty easy to find a spot to enjoy lunch and a beverage with views, but be sure to check with the establishment first since not all allow dogs.
- 3rd Street Post
- Brian’s Bar & Grill (summer 2021 temporary patio)
- Brick & Bourbon (summer 2021 temporary patio)
- Charlie’s Irish Pub and Papa’s Rooftop at Water Street Inn
- Coffee Paw Cafe
- Feller and MADE Coffee at Lora
- Gateway Trailside
- Gasthaus Bavarian Hunter (Lawn only, not deck)
- Joseph’s Family Restaurant
- Leo’s Grill & Malt Shop
- Lift Bridge Brewery
- Lolito (summer 2021 temporary alley patio)
- LOLO American Kitchen
- Lowell Inn
- Maple Island Brewing
- Matchstick at Hotel Crosby
- Nacho Mamas
- No Neck Tony’s
- Oasis Cafe
- PD Pappy’s
- Saint Croix Vineyards
- Sara’s Tipsy Pies
- The Daily Grind Espresso Cafe
- The Freight House
- The Lumberjack Axe Throwing Bar (outdoor patio only)
- Thor’s Hard Cider / Aamodts Apple Farm
- Tilted Tiki
- Victoriano’s NY Style Pizza
Places to Stay
Do you prefer to vacation with your dog? You are in luck, there are a few properties in Stillwater that welcome up to two dogs for overnight stays! Did you know that about 75% of luxury, mid-scale, and economy hotels now allow pets, according to a 2016 survey by the American Hotel & Lodging Association. Here are some tips to ensure that your dog will be welcomed wherever you travel.
Hotels in Stillwater
- America’s Best Value Inn – $15 extra charge per day, per dog.
- AmericInn & Suites – Available in all rooms but suites, $25 per day per dog, large field next to parking lot.
- Coratel Inn – $15 per pet per night. Only small dogs, certain rooms only.
- Grandstay – Allows cats or dogs with a $30 per night per pet charge that is negotiable for longer stays.
- Water Street Inn – Stillwater’s only riverfront property in town has a few historic rooms designated as dog friendly with advanced reservations. There is a fee of $25 per dog per night.
- Lora -They will happily greet your pet with a pet bed, bowls, toy, tasty treat, pet-friendly room service menu, and a list of local pet resources. They’ve also got a range of inspirational books – from dog massage to pet psychology for guests to borrow.
Vacation Rentals (VRBOs)
- Lookout Haven – Lower level riverwalk suite with outdoor space.
- South Hill Properties – Well-behaved pets allowed, fenced-in backyard, park right across the street, walking distance to downtown.
Creative Experiences for Pet Lovers
Gift Shops with Your Pet in Mind
Pictured here are oodles of gift ideas for people who love their pets. Please note the places featured are not necessarily shops that allow pets inside, so note the list of pet friendly shops* at the bottom of this section.
Shops/Experiences that allow Pets Inside
- Apricot Lane
- Art n Soul/Stillwater Beads
- Darn it Anyway
- Forget Me Not
- Kari’s Create & Paint Studio
- Lakebound Clothing
- Lake and Company
- Medicinal Blends
- Midtown Antiques
- Minnesota Made
- O’Brien Spirits & Wines
- Prohibition Barbers
- River Market Co-Op
- Sarah’s Self Service Dog Wash
- Shop in the City
- Smith & Trade Merchantile
- Stillwater Boat Club & Rentals
- Stillwater Olive Oil & Vinegar
- Valley Bookseller
- West Marine
Thank you for visiting!
We hope you can visit Stillwater, Minnesota soon AND bring your pup! Please remember to keep this a lovely and safe destination by cleaning up after your dog and ensuring that your pet is on a leash in pedestrian zones which includes the downtown area and public trails. Lastly, Share your adventures with us for a chance to be featured on our Instagram or Facebook – tag @discoverstillwater and/or #DiscoverStillwater.